Friday 10 February 2023

Basic Roleplaying — Printing & Binding

 

Since Chaosium want to charge a ridiculous amount of money for postage to New Zealand for a hard copy of Basic Roleplaying (an extra $US85 on top of the fifty bucks or so for the book), I took their 99 cent PDF from DTRPG instead and printed and bound it myself.

It's 400 pages, so quite a job for my elderly Brother laser printer, but I eventually got through it, twenty pages at a time.

I decided to print it myself rather than take it to a printery, because all the printeries want to charge about ten cents per page. However, as it turned out I had to replace two toner colour cartridges in the course of printing, so it would have been cheaper (and a lot less trouble) to have got a professional to do it.

I suppose I would have had to get new toner cartridges eventually anyway, but not quite so soon.

It's a very simple binding: just glued, then drilled and stitched, and glued into card covers. With the stitching, it should be a fairly durable item (I hope). The red outer is just a card slip-cover with a print of the cover art glued in place. The pages are attached to the covers by glued paper strips, but I haven't glued in actual endpapers — someday maybe, but it's not a high priority.



Some considerable time later...

I was poking around on DriveThruRPG and found that they had BRP available by print-on-demand, so I ordered a copy pretty much on a whim. And today (2023-05-17) it finally arrived, with the outer packaging rather the worse for wear.

It looks like the original address label had been pretty well washed away, so in a sense I'm kind of impressed that it got to me at all. Fortunately the contents didn't seem to be badly affected.

So, now I have two copies.

I also find that Chaosium have (or are just about to) release a new edition of BRP, all shiny and in full colour like their other recent releases. Apparently there are a few minor changes in the content, but the main difference is in the presentation. I may or may not get a copy, depending on how much money I have to spare at the time and what sort of mood I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment