Tuesday 23 March 2021

Meeples of the Sea

 

In our most recent D&D session, we were engaged in some nautical shenanigans, and could have used some ship models.

Continuing my policy of making exactly what we need for our games just too late to actually need them, I printed these very simple little tokens from STLs I found on Thingiverse.

There's so little detail there that it's hardly worth bothering painting them, so I won't. Besides, I quite like the look of the translucent red resin.

They printed support-free, so of cleanup there is none.


I printed some in FDM as well, for comparison.

They required a lot more post-print work, due to the stringing I just can't seem to eliminate from my FDM prints.

These ones are printed at a layer height of 0.1mm, and it took about 6 hours to print four of them. Considering the lack of detail, I should probably have dropped that to 0.2mm — it would make no functional difference, and it would cut the printing time in half.

Still, I've got them now, and I'm not likely to need any more.


In spite of which...

I whipped up this very basic little 14th century cog.

It's designed at about 70mm long, which would make it roughly 1/200 (small cog) to 1/300 (large cog) scale, but I didn't design it to be any particular scale. It's just intended to be small enough to go conveniently on the gaming table, and large enough to be able to tell what it is.




I've put the STL up for sale on wargaming3d.com at https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/c14th-cog/

No comments:

Post a Comment