Wednesday 6 December 2023

Baking Soda Air-Dry Clay Recipe

 


For later reference:

Baking Soda Air-Drying Modeling Clay

  1. Pour 2 cups Baking Soda and 1 cup of Cornstarch into a saucepan.
  2. Add 1¼ cups cold water and keep mixing.
  3. Add food coloring if desired.
  4. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is the consistency of mashed potatoes (about 10-15 mins).

Also called "cold porcelain". Makes a soft white modeling clay that takes impressed detail well, very suitable for terrain rollers. The clay can be coloured when made, and takes acrylic paint well. It will take a day or two to harden.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't tried that. I haven't measured its curing shrinkage, and it's fairly absorbent when cured, so it may not be ideal.

      Delete
  2. I was so fascinated with this I shared it at Quantrill's Toy Soldiers. I hope you don't mind. Great ideas,

    ReplyDelete