Thursday 13 September 2018

Printable Scenery Scenery

Printed at 0.2mm in PLA. This model took a couple of hours.
There's a company called Printable Scenery who sell... well, printable scenery. For tabletop gaming.

One of the many sets of models they offer is the one this came from (actually a combination of two of the pieces from the set) — their Modular Town Ruins.

They're designed with sockets to be able to clip together with OpenLock clips, but I prefer to just combine the models during printing to create a single piece. Being able to mix and match bits on the table is fine and dandy, but I'm just as happy to print a whole new ruin if I need one in a specific configuration. There's also the issue that I wargame primarily in 15mm, so the models need to be rescaled from their base size to fit in with models and figures of that size — the clips might still work, but it's an added complication I don't care for.

I've resized these two bits to 60% in Cura, and arranged them to print together. They seem to fit pretty nicely with the 15mm figures I've photographed them with. I could maybe have taken them down to 50%, and I'll give that a go, but I suspect they'd then start looking a little small relative to the figures and what-not.

You get a good few different bits for your nine yankeebucks, and with these I should be pretty well set for 20th century building ruins for the foreseeable future.

The main feature that's missing is floors, for creating two-storey sections. However, that's not something that would be terribly difficult to create myself, if need be.

Later...

15mm figures from Battlefront, PaK36 and crew from PSC.
Shown here to the right is a more ambitious assembly from the same collection of pieces.

This one took about eight hours to print, which seems like a long time, but I can put something like this on the go in the evening and have it waiting for me to pick up off the printer when I wake up.

One thing that I've noticed from this exercise is that one does have to take note of which side of a wall segment is an inside or outside face; the piece in the top left, for example, should probably have been the other way around so that the fireplaces were actually inside the building, where they could have done some good when it was whole and inhabited. However, many of the pieces are fairly ambiguous, and you could get away with putting them either way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment