Another old miniature for restoration


Here's another very old figure I found while rummaging around in my Abandoned Figures Repository. I painted him when I first got him in 1981, but at some stage I must have decided to repaint him and forgotten about him after the undercoat went on. I don't even remember when that might have been, so it must have been quite a few years ago.

I'm not completely sure which company made this guy, but I think it was Ral Partha. There is some engraving under the base, but it's not very clear — the only easily decipherable text is "1977", which I guess is its design date.

[Edit: sure enough, it's listed as Ral Partha ES Series RP01-059 - Fire Giant. Not really big enough to be a D&D fire giant, but there you go.]

He's a giant, and stands about 45mm tall from toes to crown (not including his honking great godentag). As usual, I've glued him to a steel washer, both to make him more stable, and so that I can store him on a magnetic mat. It looks as though I just slapped the white undercoat on straight over the old paint, so that will probably have to come off and a new undercoat put on the bare metal.

This guy is unlike almost any other giant figure I've seen, being rather skinny and stringy rather than the Hulk-like brutes that are usually presented as giants. That and his crazed hippy-like hair and beard and his great beaky nose make him an attractive figure to me.... maybe attractive isn't quite the right word, but I like him.

I tend to find large areas of bare flesh rather daunting when it comes to painting, but we'll see how he goes.

Enhanced Interrogation Containment Module

Amongst the Reaper Bones Kickstarter III offerings is a set of pieces to dress up your friendly local torture chamber. One of them is th...