Saturday 10 June 2023

FDG Goblin King Kitbash

 

Fat Dragon Games recently had a Kickstarter for a whole heapin' helpin' of new STLs, among which is a tribe of diminutive goblinish critters.

Their king is provided with a throne, as shown here, but not with any option for him to actually sit on his throne.

So I got to work with the STLs and kitbashed one together.


I didn't change the king's pose much at all. I just cut his legs off, separated them and re-sited them.

I had to give him a new pair of knees and a new kirtle, but the most labour-intensive part of the process was in removing the remains of the old base from under his feet.

That became a lot easier after I discovered the box trim and lasso trim brushes in Blender's sculpt mode, but it was still something of a grind: my computer is five or six years at least out of date, and with a puny 16GB of RAM I had to be sure to save after each and every cut to be sure that I didn't lose too much in the event of an out-of-memory crash.


I printed the new king enthroned twice, once in resin, and once in FDM using Tom Tullis' latest miniatures profile for Cura 5.x and a 0.4mm nozzle (with tree supports added).

To be honest, there's not a lot to choose between them, and at tabletop distances I think most people would find it a challenge to distinguish them.

The resin model has better definition of his toes, but I think that's mainly because the FDM supports under his feet detached from the build plate, and the feet ended up having to print in mid-air. Considering that, I think they actually printed surprisingly well.

1 comment: