Monday 21 August 2017

Yet another miniature painting WiP post


If I ever get back to DMing my own campaign, I might have the need for a half-orc or two. Fortunately, I got a half-orc or two (or three) in the most recent Reaper Bones kickstarter fulfilment.

So far, all I've done is glue the plastic figure to a steel washer, and extend the stone base texture out with Green Stuff.

Ettin
I need to decide what I'm going to do about the skin tones. I've been using a snotty greenish colour for the very few orcs and ogres and what-not that I've done thus far, and I'd like to echo that a bit, but I don't want to go the full green-skin for the half-orcs.

Orc archer
Maybe some kind of pale Caucasian skin tones with a greenish filter over the top might serve. Only time (and experiment) will tell.





Later....

I started, as usual, by spraying the whole thing black and then doing a zenithal spray with white. That helps a bit when it comes to establishing highlights and shade, but mostly it just shows me very clearly where the contours and detail of the miniature lie.



My experiments with filtering paler skin didn't work, so I've fallen back on my standard orky skin. The base colour is Vallejo VMC Japanese Uniform, washed with Citadel Athonian Camoshade. You can see the colour of the wash on the clothing, which up until then was still plain white.

I highlighted the muscles a little with a couple of tints of of the base colour, lightened with VGC Bone White. The tonal range is a bit broader than I'd like; it has a bit of a "chalk and soot" look, but I can live with it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, wow, really nice the Half-Orc mini with the two blades. I really tried to find that mini but failed. may u can help me a bit more, where to find it?

    ReplyDelete