|A monster construction|
It's for this reason that I decided to replace the cardboard-bits monster with a one-piece plastic monster that won't disintegrate when someone picks it up. I chose this one for several reasons:
- Its base is small enough to fit within the boundaries of the squares on the game board
- It's flat enough to sit inside the fairly shallow box
- It has a clearly identifiable front an back
- It's identifiably monsterish
- It was the first one that came to hand
It's a WotC D&D pre-painted 28mm plastic figure labelled "Orc Skeleton" that I gave a quick re-paint. I may very well use other figures as well; it's nice to have a variety critters available, but this is the one that will stay in the box. There's no mechanical effect on the game by having differently-shaped creatures — all monsters' abilities are identical regardless of morphology.