Tuesday 14 May 2013

Wyvern

It's been a while since I updated this blog, so I suppose I'd better get my arse into gear and get on with it.




This is a wyvern figurine I got from an acquaintance a very long time ago, in the mid-late '80s. It's rather crudely cast, and I strongly suspect that it was a home-cast pirate miniature; I don't know the original manufacturer, though I imagine that I could probably find out if I put a bit of effort in to the task, thanks to the all-encompassing internet.

Much of the detail is painted on rather than modelled in. The wings were rather ill-fitting and needed a lot of pinning and filling; I did what I could to blend them in to the body with Milliput, but sculpting has never really been my strong suit.

I wanted it to be in a rather dusty, desertish colour scheme, rather like a rattlesnake (though without the patterning).

A while ago, a friend dropped it and bust its legs. I pinned it all back together and repainted the damaged area, and took the opportunity at the same time to remount it on a honking great big 50mm panel washer. That makes it a lot more stable than it was, which is all to the good.

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the Asgard "Wyvern attacking" FM85?
    http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:Asgard-fmonsters-fm58.jpg
    Picture is just the drawing from the Armory's classic catalog, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a decade late to this, but it's the Citadel Orc War Wyvern (minus the rider) from 1984: http://www.sodemons.com/rhdragons/04tonyackland/ta3orcwyern/index.htm

    ReplyDelete