Tuesday 30 November 2010

F***ing magnets, how do they work?

 
This is why I mount all my figures on steel magnets these days. This cheap plastic storage box has had a magnetic sheet stuck into it with double-sided tape; it holds the figures securely enough that they'll stay in place with the box up-ended. They don't rattle around against each other, chipping off all the paint applied with so much sweat and heartbreak. It won't hold the figures down against a severe jolt, but for normal handling, or for sitting in the back seat of a car for example, it's fine.

I got the magnetic sheet from a signwriter. It's the same stuff used for fridge magnets, or the temporary signs used for car doors and the like, and it's pretty cheap — if I recall correctly, I paid about $20 for a square metre of the stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's clever. I, too, have 15mm figures mounted on 16mm washers, and magnetic sheet. I've been setting up small carry trays that hold about 20 figures and was going to put them in a series of cardboard boxes. Last weekend, we discovered some nice metal toolboxes at Mitre 10 for $40 each - these are the type with the four fold-out trays and the larger base tray for vehicles, etc.

    I find that PVA sticks the mag sheat in quite nicely, too.

    ReplyDelete